Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Lynnette Richmann, Advisory Partner, Seattle

I have always thought that the best vacations are active vacations, so riding nearly 650 miles in eight days on my "vacation" should not be too surprising to people who know me. Maybe I get it the sense of wanderlust and need for excitement from growing up in Iowa, or maybe I have just learned that the best way to forget about work while on vacation is to travel where there are no phones and computers and then take on something so physical or mentally challenging you can't do much else but concentrate on the task in front of you. I am really excited about the Tour this year! I remember that first ride four years ago (even before "Chasing Daylight Tour" was born) when Fred and Kevin road from San Francisco to San Diego, and I recall hearing stories from Fred each year after that about how the Tour was evolving. I have always thought it was a great idea and I have always wanted to be a part of it. This year, with a field of 24 riders, the CDT Team looks to be exceptional! I am looking forward to meeting my fellow riders in only 4 days!

Even though I have not done much cycling in the past few years, at one point in my life I was a very avid cyclist, covering long distances ever since I was in college. After I had a bike accident that destroyed my road bike 8 years ago, and I didn't replace it and opting to ride her mountain bike because it was a great workout. Over the years, the demands of work and other interests took over, and cycling stopped altogether. Last year, I decided to purchase a new road bike, thinking it might inspire me to focus on getting back in shape. The bike sat in my garage for nearly a year. Then, after being pushed by several marathon-running clients at the State of Oregon, I purchased a pair of running shoes in February of this year and said "this time, I'm serious." (And besides, I had to save face with my clients by this point.) By April, not only was I on a consistent running schedule, I had set my sights on a longer term goal -- Ironman in 2009. Finally, it was time to start riding that bike I bought a year earlier. My strategy was to tell everyone I knew about my Ironman goal and to enter any event during the summer that I could fit into my schedule, as a way to continue to inspire me to train. Since May, I have ridden 3 centuries and the Seattle to Portland ride (200 miles in one day), finished 3 triathlons (a sprint, olympic and Half Ironman), finished a half marathon and ran with a group of 12 awesome women in the Hood to Coast relay in Oregon (17,000 participants, 197 miles, 26 hours, dubbed the "Mother of all Relays"). In addition to these "events" I have also logged hundreds of additional training miles on my bike, more miles than I care to think about running (I hate running the worst!) and hours in the pool and lake. Believe it our not, I keep saying "after Chasing Daylight, I will get serious about my training." It is just too hard to achieve the balance needed, when you are constantly focusing your training for the next event. Nevertheless, Chasing Daylight promises to be a highlight and perfect end to my summer!

When the email came out on June 2, soliciting additional riders for CDT 2008, I shortly received another email asking if I was planning to ride. Feeling that I was on a roll, without hesitation I replied, "Yes!" In addition to money, I have also been collecting stories and names from my friends, clients and colleagues of people in their lives who have battled cancer. I also have a number of people who have touched my life, through their courage, strength, gratitude and hope as they themselves have fought the fight, and have sometimes lost. Gene wrote in his book that getting to learn that you are dying is a curse, but also a blessing. It is not a blessing we wish on anyone, of coarse, and that is one of the reasons we are riding. In addition to raising awareness and donations for the American Cancer Society, I hope that it inspires everyone who rides or donates to the Tour to live the messages that Gene shared through his book, Chasing Daylight: find perfect moments which will lead to perfect days, foster relationships and "Move it up" (meaning don't wait, do it now).

Thanks to each of my fellow CDT Teammates and our awesome volunteers who will support us along our 650-mile journey. But most of all, thanks to the over 550 people who have heard our story and have provided their support to our fundraising effort so far!!

No comments: